Monday 9 September 2013

Learning Reflection on Session 2 #OCL4Ed



This second part of the course has definitely put me on the right track, by providing me with clear and precise information about what really is an Open Education Resource (OER), its associated characteristics and benefits, and its implementation in respect to the institution where I work. The embedded videos as well as the recommended readings have enlightened my thoughts towards what is an OER, and its optimum use.



The video signpost from David Wiley has enlightened me on the fact that an OER is always free to access as well as free to be reused, revised, remixed and redistributed – what he categorizes as the 4Rs. I always thought that education resources made available should be used originally as it appeared because of copyright purposes; But after looking at the second video by Eben Moglen and Lawrence Lessig, my mindset changed completely. I totally agree on the idea that education is based on free sharing of ideas, and for sharing to be done freely and at a free rate, copyrights should not be imposed on education resources made available. However, I think that terms and conditions may be applied in order to ensure that the information is being shared correctly and for learning purposes.



The activity which involved me in coming up with a proper definition for OER has helped myself in researching deeper in the field. I could find that OER is a digital material which can be completely or which comprises of a specific version that can be accessed freely by the user. The materials provided throughout the OER may be reused, revised, remixed and redistributed with a view to promote and/or enhance learning. Along with the researches made, I also identified arguments for and against the implementation of OER in the institution where I work. A possible barriers which may hinder the implementation of OER at the institution is the lack of adequate technological resources both in the institution and at students’ place. This is mostly because students of this particular institution as most of the time from low budget families, who strive a lot to earn living, and for them, these technological advancements would be a luxury, requiring considerable investment.



However, a clear opportunity which I identified which may promote the implementation of OER in the institution is by introducing a new field of study in the curriculum. This new field should be entirely based on OER and financial support from the government would be of great benefit for the implementation of the technological requirements at school as well as at the students’ place. Various benefits would be enjoyed from this modern way of learning from various points of views, namely: from students, teachers as well as the concerned institution.

2 comments:

  1. I also enjoyed the Lessig video. I liked the way he broke down sharing into 3 easy things to remember.
    1) need to protect 'fair use'
    2) freedom to create w/o having to get permission
    3) respect the creator
    I'm an artist as well as an instructor and I appreciated his 'creative license'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur with you on the fact that this second part has put you, and me too, on the right track. I have found my bearings as far as OER is concerned; though I feel there is more to come in the sessions ahead.

    In your second paragraph, you mentioned that 'terms and conditioned should be applied to ensure that the information is shared correctly and for learning purposes'. This to me sounds like a restriction; in one of the definitions of OER, one of the 4 Rs stands to repurposing. Would it therefore not remove the openness if only a particular way of sharing is permitted in the terms and conditions?

    The idea of introducing a new field of study in the curriculum based on OER is quite noble and could go a long way in actualizing the whole concept of freedom to learn.

    ReplyDelete